Friday, December 21, 2007

Comcast, part 7

Why part seven, you ask? I was too frustrated to write about the five visits between the first and the last and wanted to wait till I had resolution to comment with hind-sight... Anyhow, I finally have two single-stream CableCards(tm) working in my HD TiVo. Let's recap the visits:

1 (Wednesday) - CC's brought, but none worked. Rescheduled for Thursday.
2 (Thursday) - No CC's brought because the dispatcher did not include it on the list even though I clearly said my CC's are not working. Luis must have felt compelled to do something, so he checked my signal strength and removed splitters he deemed "bad". Rescheduled for Friday.
3 (Friday) - Reg was helpful, he got one multistream card to work, but it would only tune my local channels; very odd. Rescheduled for Saturday; told dispatcher to have tech bring 10 CC's to try to get this to work.
4 (Saturday) - Luis arrived for the second time with CC's and got one to work, but the second one did not work. So, I can tune one HD cable channel at this time. Not bad, but want two... Rescheduled for Monday.
5 (Monday) - Tech 5048 arrived with CC's but none of them worked. He did notice that I was not getting all my channels - Encore to be specific. He fixed that for me. Bonus. Rescheduled for Tuesday.
6 (Tuesday) - Mike arrived (best-spoken tech so far, I must have been escalated), but did not have CC's with him. I did not let him in the house. He explained that the warehouse was exhausted of them and they were burning them today so they would be available tomorrow. He asked if I wanted a digital cable box in case I was not getting any feeds at all. I told him that it would be a parallel move since I can tune one digital channel at the moment. I simply want to be able to tune two. I rescheduled for Wednesday, my first day back at work.
7 (Wednesday) - Tech 5048 again, he also wanted to check my signal strength before even attempting to insert a CC; he didn't like the look of a splitter in my basement. Man, these guys push to accomplish SOMETHING when there is no work to be done. They must be told to "tidy up" in the event that they cannot actually complete the work they were dispatched to do. He also had an apprentice with him; a young fella that spoke only when spoken to and was basically there to be a statue. Maybe I was frightening and he brought muscle with him for defense. I don't know. All this signal-checking made me nervous as I arrived home from work; it is usually an indicator they are not able to accomplish what I want them to do. In the end, the second card was activated and all was right with the world.

Could you imagine the amount of lost time and money I would have incurred if I were not working from home on as a new father? Let's just say it would be huge.

No comments: