Friday, June 13, 2008

Night out revisited

I'm on the train now thinking over my night out. Have you ever had that moment (from your own, unique perspective) where you ask a friend of the opposite sex, "Remind me again why you're single?"
I had that moment tonight. Check that, I've had this moment in my head for over a year but only spoke out about it tonight. I was out with several coworkers tonight and (for the sake of the argument let's call her) 'Jami' joined the party.
'Jami' is smart, sexy, fun and (most-importantly) single.
She's the type of woman that I would be attracted to if I were single. I'm not, so let's leave the questions about my fidelity right there. Her dating status - over 30 and single but actively searching for a man - has always perplexed me. She has a commanding presence when she enters a room. There must be some critical flaw that I cannot see.
I'm compelled to help and told her that I'd be a great wingman. However, this nasal congestion prevented me from joining her and the group at the very loud venue they were headed to. It would have been painful. I feel she's looking for the "6-foot 3-inch former football quarterback turned stock broker who's in his late 30's and looking to settle down and start a family in the next 18 months". Wonder how hard those are to find?
My thoughts shift to my family at home and how I feel disconnected at times due to work or this or that; it bothers me. I received a quote from a VP today that stated, "The most important thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother". Father Ted Hesburgh, C.S.C. said that; what a great quote.

No comments: