Thursday, July 10, 2008

On call

Man, this is getting old. At what age is it appropriate to say that I'm too old to be a pager guy. I'm not a doctor; I'm an IS Manager, but I seem to be the primary point of contact at all hours. It's been a long week and there's still one more day (gee whiz Friday) and the weekend (working both Saturday and Sunday) and then it continues all through next week. No. Time. Off. See my post about "Opportunities".

I am in my basement on a conference call about an issue that's been lingering for 36 hours for an important client. We have no idea what's going on and no idea when we'll have resolution. I have 4 family members that came over for dinner and I have yet to greet them or even eat for that matter. I may not have the opportunity for either.

I have colleagues that complain over and over about "meetings" as if they are the worst thing that can happen to you at work. 'Oh no, I have to sit in a room with others and discuss things.' I can think of at least a dozen things in the working world that are worse than that. Let's keep everything in perspective.

No comments: