Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Milk

I reintroduced milk into my diet for the first time in seven years. As an adult who needs milk? Let me take you back a bit into why I removed milk from my diet.

Back in 2001 when I had just moved out on my own with my roommate Ross, we would eat breakfast together and gaze out our apartment windows at Lake Shore Drive; enjoying the start of another work day.

Our breakfast was made up of cereal of course and many bowls of it. Every once in a while, while riding the 136 bus crammed into the middle, my body would tell me that it did not agree with my milk/cereal decision. Panic would set in as I scanned LaSalle street for a safe haven to rescue me from the dire straights I was in. It didn't take me long to decide that milk in the morning wasn't the right thing for me.

Instead of switching to something else and eating breakfast at home, I decided to bring my breakfast with me to the office and eat something there. I switched to dry cereal, ceral bars and pop tarts. To this day, that is my morning routine. That is, it was my morning routine untile I decided to give milk a shot.

My office stocks food supplies for us - a carryover from our start-up days where we worked longer hours just to make ends meet and keep the lights on. Each month, there is a threat that this perk might be taken away. Part of the monthly food purchase is milk and cereal. I've been eating dry cereal (dry) for years now until today. I'm glad to report that all is well and my body has not rejected the dairy.

No comments: