Monday, October 20, 2008

Where 5 minutes sets you back 60

I was getting ready to leave the office when I got rolled up into an ongoing issue. Just taking the time to assess the issue took five minutes and put me out of range to catch my perfect train departure. I said, "No big deal, I'll just take the next train". That turned out to be a fatal mistake.

As it turns out, there was a huge backup of equipment due to signaling problems and delays. Normally, the second train gets me home 25 minutes after the first. I ended up getting home over 60 minutes later on this train than if I had taken the earlier one (which was on time). See what a five-minute delay can lead to?

Here's a photo of the scene at the train station as we all waited on the platform for our trains to arrive. This photo is of an adjacent platform. Mine is equally crowded to the left of the frame.

No comments: