Monday, May 26, 2008

I am NOT the helpdesk

Folks who work in IT speak many different languages, but when it comes to providing technical support for our family and friends we have a common voice - we are not the help desk. Call someone else.

Today is Memorial Day (happy Memorial Day to all those protecting us from ourselves) and I am in my basement *trying* to leave the house to run some errrands with my wife and child. I haven't left the house on the weekend for the past 2+ months and it's starting to wear me out. I feel trapped and it's not healthy. I could use some support from the rest of my teammates, but they don't step up. Don't offer to help; help. They go on with their weekend party livestyles and let the family man suck it up. After all I am their manager so it's fitting. Or is it? I'm too hard on them.

I have to really thank Roger who works harder than I do. He's been doing this line of support far longer than I have. He truly is Superman...

On top of all that, I get a call from a family member who just experienced a BSOD (blue screen of death) from their computer. Where do I go with this? I am not the help desk. I am an IT manager who is on call 24x7 for a platform that generates millions of dollars per year and touches the lives of millions. I work every day, even holidays and haven't had a vacation day...I cannot even remember when. No, I don't want to do more.

No comments: